HebrewHebrew learning happens in many different ways at Sukkat Shalom. We offer student only classes, family classes and one on one tutoring with our Master Teacher. If you are moving toward having your child (who will be entering 5th grade in the fall) become a Bar/Bat Mitzvah at Congregation Sukkat Shalom they need to be enrolled in one of our Hebrew offerings. Hebrew is open to all our 5th and 6th graders. Hebrew School Dates 2017-2018 Hebrew School Registration Form, 2017-2018 The overall goals in our Hebrew program are:
- To learn the Hebrew letters and vowels
- To be able to decode Hebrew properly
- To learn basic Hebrew words based on values, holidays and Jewish literacy
- To play games and perform drills that reinforces and produces strong and confident readers
- To review key Hebrew prayers
Fifth Grade Hebrew (Alef)
Shalom Uvrachah: The New Hebrew Primer Alissa Zuchman
- Learn all the letters and vowels
- Emphasize decoding skills
- Develop accurate and fluent reading
- Acquire a small Hebrew vocabulary of key words and concept
Sixth Grade Hebrew (Bet)
Getting Up To Speed - Hebrew Primer Ronit Levy
- Reinforce decoding skills
- Emphasize conversational Hebrew
- Learn basic grammar skills
- All options cover the same material and use the same book.
- The Student-only class (5th and 6th) meets 3 Thursdays a month from 4:00-5:00 at Sukkat Shalom (1001 Central Avenue, Wilmette).
- The Family class (5th ) meets 3 Thursdays a month from 5:00-6:00 at Sukkat Shalom (1001 Central Avenue, Wilmette).